Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Interactivity #1: What Technology Does For Me...

        The three forms of technology I rely on the most are my iPod, laptop, and cell phone. These technologies have shaped the way I live today. In many ways, they have facilitated my way of communicating with others and receiving information. They have also assisted me a great deal with knowledge comprehension. These are some of the ways in which these technological tools have benefited my life.
  
As a dancer, and dance/dance fitness instructor, I have become heavily dependent on my iPod. It is my little treasure chest filled with international rhythms. My iPod has a variety of music from all over the world, and because of this, I have been able to closely listen to and examine music. I have been able to culturally identify different genres of music through repetitively listening and finding connections between the language, instruments, and themes involved. If I did not have an iPod, I would not have this quick and easy access to the music from all over the world in a small portable device, whenever I pleased. My iPod and the music it holds has helped me learn and understand different cultures.

Because I work and interact with others on a daily basis, my cellular phone is a convenient means of communication. I use my cell phone to communicate for business, pleasure, and so on. I have my cell phone on me wherever I go and it is the best way to reach me. When I am in my car, I connect my cell phone to the Bluetooth and am able to call someone with voice recognition, so that I do not have to use my hands. By dialing a few numbers, saying a couple of words, and/or texting a few letters, I can keep up to date with what goes on throughout the day.

I believe my laptop to be the one technological device with which I can squeeze out the most juices. It has so many purposes and from it, I can acquire so much information in a click. I use my laptop for writing documents, research, Facebook, Skype, the Internet, downloading music, and so on. It is handy in so many ways and really facilitates all aspects of my career, personal life, and so on. 

I believe myself to be very similar to the adolescents in the two videos. We all use technology for the same purposes, primarily for pleasure and for school. However, unlike the students of the first video, I have continuous access to technology. I have access to technology in school, at home, in the library, at a friend’s house, and so on. Fortunately, technology is readily available to me when I need it. However, I understand that that is not the case with everyone. In my teaching career, I am going to come across many students that are not fortunate enough to have a computer, cell phone, or other useful technological tool. As a teacher, I must take this into consideration and try not to make technology be the only means of acquiring information for my students. But with the way and speed things are changing, I believe technology will become a huge part of schools’ curricula. What then? As a teacher, I must take this matter into my hands and make sure students have some access to technology, even if it be only at school or at the library. I must be certain that these options are available, for they are and will remain available to myself. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,

    I'm so glad that you mentioned your iPod as one of your technologies. People sometimes forget that even music is a form of communication. I find that music in my every day life may be a better tool for communication than my own words.

    How do you feel about the technologies you chose and them getting in the way of everyday life? What I mean is, my iPod keeps me from reading because I can't listen and read at the same time. My laptop is a gateway to another world of distractions. Let's not even get started on the cell phone debate. How would you handle these distractions in the classroom with your students?

    And your comment on how options should be available to everyone is exactly a point I focused on in my post. I said that an educator should make every subject matter accessible to the students. Assuming a student can use technology at home could yield poor results back to the teacher. Unfortunately, it's a big hurdle that we, as teachers, will have to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I can absolutely relate to how your iPod is one of your most influential forms of technology. I feel the same way, and it might be interesting to incorporate this form in our future classrooms, similar to the ways that you incorporate it in your dance classes. We often forget to take into account that students might be better able to express themselves through different types of music. I also believe you raised a very good point when you stated that although we might have technology readily available to us wherever we are, we cannot forget that our students, like Olivia, might not have access to the same technologies that we or their other classmates might have. Everything we assign must be accessible to our students, otherwise technology will no longer be an advantage in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the negative influences of your chosen technologies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,
    I found it very interesting that you selected your iPod, cell phone, and laptop as the three influential technologies particularly because these are three technologies that are commonly not permitted in classrooms. For many students, these technologies are very prevalent in their lives and thus would very likely aid their understanding of subject matter if incorporated within the classroom setting or for educational purposes outside the classroom. Would you ever consider using these technologies with your students or have them use them for class purposes?

    ReplyDelete