Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Interactivity #5

Spreadsheet

         The teacher interviewed is a 9-12 grade Spanish and ESL teacher in the West New York School District . Based on the answers provided on the survey, this teacher was familiar with the NETS-S and NETS-T. When she first read the question, she asked me if those were the national standards in Technology and Engineering and I reassured her that they were. After a reminder, she was able to recall what they were. The following is what I discovered through her completion  of my interview based on the NETS survey: 

        The West New York school district has begun to implement the NETS for students and the NETS for teachers. The teacher stated that the NETS are used at her school along with  the NJCSS. Teachers are encouraged to use them whenever they are working with technology in or outside of the classroom. In any classroom that integrates technology, the use of these standards is optional. The teacher mentioned that these standards and the resources needed to satisfy these objectives are provided at professional development workshops and the teachers are strongly advised to use them. The school is making the transition as more and more technology is becoming an essential part of the classroom. With promethean boards, computers, and so on, the teachers are encouraged to include these standards in their lesson plans.
         I was surprised with the responses of the teacher. I did not expect for her to utilize technology in her classroom and in her lesson plans. I have written a lot of lesson plans throughout my college experience and have not come across these standards. I expected the teacher to have the same unawareness. After discovering that she did know them, I was even more surprised because I had not yet been informed until this activity. I did not know what the standards were and at first mention, I had to do some research on them. I was impressed in discovering that urban areas, such as West New York, are slowly transitioning into using these standards and integrating more technology in their curricula. Through her responses, I realized that the NETS are starting to be taken seriously. 
        As a future teacher, I would promote the use of NET-S and NETS-T. I will include these standards in my lesson plans and write them on the board whenever necessary. I will spread the word of the new and revised NETS and encourage teachers to use them whenever they are working with technology in their classrooms. With technology becoming an enormous part of our society, it is beneficial if all teachers are familiar with and/ or implement these standards in their lessons. As I previously mentioned in my most recent blog, education will become solely digital by 2017. If this is true, the NETS-S and NETS-T should be recognized by all schools as the focus to an innovative way of approaching our lessons. The NETS target a the learning objectives of our technology-based education setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment